Sunday, October 3, 2010

Surprises and Birthday Cake

Last Monday night, my birthday eve, I was sitting at home buckling down on some homework when my phone rang.  I had a brief conversation with Aaron, the boyfriend, which he ended sort of abruptly.  It seemed strange, but he said he was coming back from the grocery store, so I didn't think too much of it.  Thirty seconds later, my doorbell rang.  Guess who it was????
This guy!!!
That's right!  He drove 5 hours after work on Monday to come down and spend my birthday with me!  I'm a lucky gal, I tell you.  

I was really bracing myself for a crappy day on Tuesday.  It's not that I'm such a non-adult that I can't handle spending my birthday alone (maybe).  It was more a combination of homesickness and that feeling of just not fitting here yet (which you all read about last Sunday).  I had all sorts of homework this week, including a take-home midterm that was due Tuesday afternoon, so we spent a good portion of my birthday working across the table from one another.  But, I didn't care one bit.  It was one of the best birthdays I've ever had.  I think the ONLY thing that could have made it better would have been one of my mom's famous cat cakes.  (When I was younger, my mom made me a birthday cake in the shape of a cat every year.  I picked marigolds from the front yard to put around it.  It was awesome.)

Fortunately, my lovely family ordered a mini-cake for me to pick up from Hy-Vee.  Aaron and I broke into that baby at 4:00.  We very nearly ruined our dinners...  

I'll say it again.  I am seriously lucky.  Along with my surprise visit and the awesome cake from the fam, I received happy birthday wishes from, like, 80 friends!

Sometimes all it takes is one good day to propel you forward.  I'm already feeling better than I did last week.  I had a successful week school-wise, I have taken some time to start organizing things in my home office and hope to have that all set up soon, and in general, I've felt happier.  I got a lot of great advice from you all last week when I asked you how you deal with tough times.  You told me to not deny my feelings, but also not dwell on the negative.  You also told me to tackle the small things one at a time because they'll add up.  And my very wise mother told me it's time to set some goals.  Thanks to all of you that took the time to offer your two cents.  Things are looking up!

... and it doesn't hurt that I had such a fan-freakin-tastic birthday ...

Have a great Sunday!  We're cold down here...  : )



4 comments:

  1. Happy belated birthday! I feel like I can relate to you so much after just recently coming across your blog. I'm just beginning grad school, and while I live in the same city as my parents, my boyfriend is 2.5 hours away. Long-distance is hard but it is so worth it! Especially when you've got a great guy who made the effort to surprise you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! : ) Ditto. It's nice to know that others are in the same boat, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy belated birthday!! How nice that he made sure to come all that way to spend it with you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Tina! It was definitely great! : )

    ReplyDelete