Thursday, August 20, 2009

Blog about what?

Maybe this should have been my first post... Oh well. So, over the last few weeks, I had been seriously considering starting this blog, but I couldn't really figure out why. So, the more I thought about it, I realized it was due mostly to these influences:
First of all, I have been enjoying reading others' blogs lately. Meghan (a running and travel friend) turned me on to her friend's blog while we were galavanting around the Northwest Coast, and I've been reading it ever since. It's a fun, inspirational, thought-provoking highlight to my weekdays. I have since found a few others that I look forward to sitting down with as well (for those, just take a quick glance to the right of your screen). I also have to give a quick shout-out to my lovely aunt's blog, which is well-written, usually chalk full of sarcasm and hilarity, and occasionally contains an embarrassing video or two of my cousins (which never fail to brighten my day!).
Secondly, the corniest reason of all, I have been reading "Julie and Julia" and just saw the movie. Two words: LOVED IT!
Third, Aaron's video blog. While most of his videos are just freaking hilarious, they are all extremely creative and each manages to give a little bit of insight into his life. I suppose it is a way for him to have some fun expressing his creativity and a way to share that creativity with others. Although I don't possess video editing skills (or any other artistic skill, for that matter), I do enjoy writing. This blog is a way for me to share parts of my life (and maybe a creative skill of mine) with all of you.
So, now we have the "why"...
When I told Aaron I was thinking about starting a blog, he said, "What's it going to be about?" Crap. "I haven't made it that far yet."
There are several things I could write about... I could write about running, I could write about school, I could write about my personal life (I talk about that FAR too much to write about it), or traveling, or cooking (which I hardly ever do as much as I'd like -- I usually get exhausted by the creative possibilities that come along with making a new meal), or my internal struggle and debates about finding some type of spirituality in my life... I could even write about my obsessive list making and my blog could just be a series of lists! Then it occurred to me that each of those things are important parts of me, and what I really want to write about are my consistent attempts to balance them all, in order to hold onto my sanity (or whatever I have left of it, anyway). I want to share what is going on in my life and find out what you all think about different issues that I'm struggling with or have found particularly amusing. So, I guess I can't clearly define what sort of stuff is going to be in this blog -- it's just going to be a hodge-podge of things from my day-to-day life -- although, I can ALMOST promise that there will be no "list" blogs...
So. There. Now that I've defined this thing a little better, I'm going to eat some dinner! Talk to you all soon!

Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment