First, it occurred to me that at this point last year, I had never run 7 miles before, a distance I have now surpassed many times. This was quite an accomplishment, which I reveled in for several minutes until the next thought came to mind: nearly everything about my life has changed since August 18th, 2008. I'm not always the biggest fan of change, so I thought this (the fact that I survived it all) was definitely cause for celebration. I ran the rest of my 4 and a half (or so) miles in celebration, and mentally went down the remainder of my list of accomplishments to add a little icing to the cake (oh, and I also celebrated with some cake...). Here's what I came up with:
- I made it through my first year of graduate school...
- ...with a 4.0! (it was touch and go for a while. phew.)
- I ran my first half marathon (and have another planned for October 18th).
- I opened myself up (which is NOT easy for me to do) and made some incredible, lifelong friends (running peeps, school peeps: I mean you!).
- I took a trip to the Northwest Coast (a wish for the past several years).
- I let go of something that needed letting go of.
- I held onto the things that mattered the most (my family and close friends).
- I found what I've always been looking for... ; )
Most of this last year certainly wasn't easy, but when is it ever? I have a sneaking suspicion that these coming 365 days have plenty up their sleeves... Probably lots of reading and school work, PhD applications, running, Aaron, celebratory cake (at least for the next few days...), and who knows what else??? Stick around to find out...