Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Photo a Day: June 5

Sign.


It might seem crazy to come all the way to Taiwan and eat a teriyaki chicken burger and fries for dinner, but 1. this particular teriyaki chicken burger is like none I've eaten in the US (I really should have taken a picture, but I ate it before I could...), and 2. The Freen was one of my favorite restaurants when I lived in Chiayi.  It's a locally owned (by a great guy named YC who is so sweet and welcoming, I probably would have kept going back even if the food hadn't been so great) and when I lived here, was the only place in town to go get a good sandwich.  Back then, they also sold local fruit, so in the summer, I could buy a whole pineapple and they would core it and cut it for me.  It was a quiet place where I could go eat lunch or dinner, do a little work, and see a friendly face.  I think that totally justifies the number of times I've eaten there on this trip...

Speaking of the trip, I've only got a day and a half left and will be so very sad to go.  This has been a wonderful getaway, and having the chance to play tourist a bit in a town I lived in for a year has been a lot of fun.  Today, I got breakfast, visited a friend, and sat in the park for an hour, drinking tea.  Yesterday, I had Thai food for lunch, went for a run around Lantan, a lake just outside of town, and had dinner with some good friends.  This trip has reminded me of all the reasons I enjoyed living in Chiayi - the sights, the smells, the culture, the food, but very most of all, the people.

I hope you're enjoying this Photo a Day series.  If you want to see more of my Taiwan pictures, go here.  I should tell you that while the Photo a Day thing basically necessitates my taking pictures with my iPod, all of my other pictures are also courtesy of the good old iPod Touch.  I brought my camera all the way here only to realize that it has given out on my completely.  Lucky to have a backup, but unfortunately, it means the quality of my pictures isn't always the greatest...

I hope you're all doing well and enjoying the summer time!

No comments:

Post a Comment